Self Portrait Poster

 For my poster design idea, I chose to tackle the idea of the paranormal and becoming an advocate for the existence of ghosts. In the past few decades, society has become more open with sharing stories of the paranormal, whether experienced firsthand, stories passed down, or even instances that are recorded on photos and videos. When beginning the design of my poster, I thought of the anti-terrorist ads that came up after 9/11, with the line "If you see something, say something." I wanted to use this line, but I decided that it would give the wrong impression due to how long it's been linked to preventing terrorism. I decided to go with the lines "Seeing things? You are not alone!" I believe this sums up my overall idea well, as it is a double entendre. the line "you are not alone" could mean other people who have experienced ghost encounters, as well as the ghosts themselves who may be around anyone at any time. Due to the minimal amount of colors that we are allowed to use, I chose to create a simplistic design but also one that could be reminiscent of Picasso's style. I chose to imitate Picasso due to his "ghost" painting, where inferred scans have detected a hidden painting under his piece "The Blue Room," which exposes the original painting of a man that the artist had then later painted over top of. Because my goal with these posters is to de-stigmatize the idea of ghosts as something that always must be violent or frightful, I chose to go with a simplistic sheet-ghost variant and used the lightest color in my swatches to substitute as the white sheet color. The design of my posters is also loosely inspired by early memes in internet culture that featured an image above a black frame with light text underneath that elaborate the joke further. I included the circle to give the illusion that the image is the phone screen of the person taking the photo, showing the ghost standing them. Yes, I put a lot of thought into this idea. 





colors:
#dee21d
#3a276d
#c2e6f3
#000000
#bfa274


colors:
#fcb415
#d1a3cb
#e6e1f0
#000000
#bf5927

colors:
#747fbe
#6e5e26
#d0e9d9
#000000
#6bbd45



This final one I did with my own custom colors instead of the analogous swatches I used for the others

colors:
#fff200
#00aeef
#ffffff
#000000
#c2b59b

Here is the photo I used that sparked my idea for this design idea:




Comments

  1. I think that this poster came out really good and is such a cool idea. Something about the way you did it and the way you designed yourself makes it look different and stand out from everyone elses poster. It reminds me of a cartoon person or something but I mean that in the best way! I love the ghost lurking behind and how it conveys the story of you seeing the ghost and you can see the shock in your eyes. I also believe in ghosts and love hearing people's stories so i'm all for your message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And it's always great to hear from people who also believe :)

      Delete
  2. I also agree with Mia. What an interesting topic! And I love how you made different files with multiple colors. I personally like the guy with the blond hair and blue shirt, I think those colors contrast the best with the background and make him stand out. I enjoyed your work and your blog post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Portfolio

Portfolio - Updated

Black and White to Color